Friday, January 26, 2024

'State of Wonder' by Ann Patchett

26 January 2024

Having recently discovered the work of the American novelist Ann Patchett - her novel ‘Bel Canto’ (reviewed here in December 2023) was one of my Picks of the Year for 2023 - my expectations were high as I started reading her 2011 novel ‘State of Wonder’. I wasn’t disappointed: ‘State of Wonder’ is another clever, intriguing and surprising tale that moves in directions you don’t expect but always feels believable, particularly in the realistic portrayal of its key characters. Marina Singh is a scientist working for a pharmaceutical firm in Minnesota. When she hears of the death of one of her closest colleagues while he was visiting a research project in the Amazon rainforest she travels to Brazil to find out exactly what happened - taking her far out of her comfort zone. The descriptions of her first few days adjusting to life in Manaus reminded me of my own work trips to Brazil and Cuba. ‘State of Wonder’ is a gripping story which is thought-provoking, unexpected and intelligent. I’m both wishing I had discovered Ann Patchett sooner and relishing the prospect of having her extensive back catologue to work through.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home