Friday, September 15, 2023

'Wiener Philharmoniker Fanfare' by Richard Strauss

15 September 2023

Like many amateur arts groups, the Northampton Symphony Orchestra has now restarted its weekly rehearsals and we are preparing for our next concert, which is on 14 October. During the period between our Friends Concert each July and the orchestra starting again at the beginning of September I like to keep playing my French horn. This year I set myself the challenge of recording Richard Strauss’s ‘Fanfare for the Vienna Philharmonic’. This joyous fanfare was written for 8 horns, 6 trumpets and 6 trombones. I played all 20 parts on the horn to create a multi-track recording. This project took me most of August. The piece lasts just over two minutes but it was surprisingly difficult to play any of the parts perfectly in just one take. I re-recorded many sections, creating an enormous number of partial tracks. But I decided I wouldn’t cheat by adjusting the pitch or speed of my recordings. About halfway through I did begin to wish I hadn’t embarked on this challenge! But I persevered, and although there are plenty of mistakes in the finished recording it was still very satisfying to complete it. You can hear the results of my vanity project at: https://youtu.be/C-J_m2a6L3w (please be kind about it!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home