Friday, July 13, 2012

Olympic Torch Relay

13 July 2012


On Monday morning I was in Milton Keynes to watch the Olympic Torch Relay go past. I was surprised how many people had turned up at 8.30 am on a Monday morning: it was packed. And it was surprisingly exciting watching families crowding the route with children sneaking out onto the road to see if the torch was coming. One boy near me had a cardboard and tissue paper replica torch and lots of people were eagerly waving flags. There was a friendly mood with police officers on motorbikes slowing to slap the outstretched hands of the youngsters as they passed. You can read biographies of each of the torch-bearers on the London 2012 website and the variety of personal stories reminded me of the Antony Gormley 'One and Other' project on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square. The actual moment the torch went past was fairly fleeting but I got a good look at it and I’m pleased to be able to say I was there the day the Olympic flame came to Milton Keynes. See: http://www.voluntaryarts.org/london-2012-cultural-olympiad/line-the-route-of-the-olympic-torch-relay/ and some of my photos at: http://culturaloutlook.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=torch+relay

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home