Friday, April 15, 2011

Northampton Symphony Orchestra concert

15 April 2011

In Saturday’s Northampton Symphony Orchestra concert we took on the challenge of Sibelius’ complex ‘Symphony No 7’. Despite being very fond of some of the earlier Sibelius symphonies I hadn't encountered the seventh before and I think it’s fair to say that it took the orchestra some weeks to get to grips with it. It’s a subtle, interlocking work which only began really to make sense once all the constituent parts found their place. But, for me, the rehearsals for this concert have been more rewarding because of this challenge and, as the symphony took shape, I came to understand and enjoy it. Sibelius manages to hint at references to his other works without every directly quoting them: on several occasions I found myself humming bits from his second or fifth symphonies after rehearsing the seventh. And I think our performance went very well, with the symphony sounding coherent, passionate and tuneful. We finished the concert with Beethoven’s ‘Symphony No 7’ – one of my favourite Beethoven symphonies. It was a thrilling performance, particularly for the heroic acrobatics of my fellow horn-players David Lack and Ian Frankland.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home