Thursday, February 12, 2009

‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’ by Lily Allen

12 February 2009

One of the benefits of using Spotify is that, even when you’re snowed in, you can try out the latest musical releases free of charge and completely legally. This week I’ve been listening to ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’, the new album by Lily Allen, which was released on Monday. And it’s actually rather good. Extremely catchy electronic pop tunes which have been playing continuously in my head. Witty and playful lyrics – though often quite crude (definitely post-watershed). On ‘Him’, an irreverent  speculation on the nature of God, she sings: “I don’t imagine He’s ever been suicidal. His favourite band is Creedence Clearwater Revival.” – great lyric. Lily Allen sings in a cool, quiet, laid-back semi-spoken style. It took me a while to work out what this reminded me of but I finally traced the sound back to the Pet Shop Boys, particularly their wonderful 2002 album ‘Release’. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home