Tuesday, October 02, 2007

'Sinfonietta' by Leoš Janáček

2 October 2007

I've been listening to James Naughtie's history of Western classical music, 'The Making of Music', on BBC Radio 4 and last week one snatch of music particularly caught my attention - the 'Sinfonietta' by the Czech composer Leoš Janáček. I got hold of a recording and I've been playing it all week. I'm not sure how the piece had previously passed me by - it's fantastic. It was written in 1926 and there are five short movements - the whole thing only lasts about 26 minutes. There is some gorgeous brass writing (indeed the first movement is just brass) with a number of variations on the opening fanfare that first grabbed my ears. If you don't already know the Sinfonietta, I would recommend discovering it for yourself.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can join my campaign to do this piece at NSO. It's a fine candidate for a workshop day.

The only major problem is that there are only two horn parts against the fourteen trumpets, but we could double. We would get trumpet players queuing up to take part.

Dave

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger Robin Simpson said...

Consider me signed up!

Cheers

Robin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home